Last week, Morgan and I came up with this idea to let students tweet in convo. As a student here, you have to go listen to a speaker. You’re supposed to come out learning something and being academically and mentally challenged. But the truth is, a handful of students could care less.
In this day and age, we have to face the facts:
- A lot of students have smart phones.
- Students with smart phones are attached to their smart phones.
- Separation anxiety is definitely a problem.
- Because of this, students’ attention spans are limited…think squirrel if you will.
- We expand the attention by doing what? Letting them actually use their phones in convo!!
When we had the THRIVE convo with Dr. Norman, we decided to let the students have at it and boy did they respond.
I think it’s pretty neat that a fellow student and I were able to communicate our idea and get faculty behind us to support that idea. Dr. Parker and the fellow THRIVE members helped spread the word. Student services printed off flyers for us. Communications set us up a Twitter account and ran a story on us in their paper. It was all pretty cool and I’m glad I got to voice my idea and see it come to fruition. It’s a great feeling knowing that you did something to spark the conversation and get students excited about convocation again. It’s a small step in the right direction.